Saturday, January 12, 2013

BAKED LEMON CHEESECAKE


 As I sit here on a chilly Saturday morning with the fire blazing and a large mug of tea taking some time clearing a backlog of overdue emails I come across a mail for Jill dated October requesting my cheesecake recipe. Jill and her husband spent a few days with us over the summer and she wrote as below:

"Talking of food, the cheese cake lasted a couple of days. We were very glad of it on the train to Paris.  We returned the car in Reims and had a taxi to Gare de Champagne-Ardennes only to find our train was actually leaving from Gare de Reims.  Our ticket said that but we hadn't checked it so not your problem.  A quick train back and straight onto the correct TGV so no time to have any other snack so your cake was appreciated. I have searched your blog loving all the tales and fun you have personally had but I cannot find the recipe to the cheese cake.  PLEASE send it to me or tell me where to find it."

So here it is for Jill to make and enjoy over the summer is sizzling Australia!

I have always loved baked cheesecake but as I grew up in a household where we ate the unbaked style I never really explored making one myself. I did love it though and used to order it whenever I spotted it in a café or restaurant! My good friend Julia gave me a ‘New York Style Cheesecake’ recipe which was so rich and 'stick to the spoon' heavy with cream…a dense delicious affair! This was ‘the one ‘ I made at the house for a good couple of years until I met Sophie!
Sophie is just divine…a Korean married to a Frenchman she met when  working in Australia she now lives in Paris. She had visited on numerous occasions with her husband, son and family and decided that she wanted to celebrate her 50th in the garden at the house with a big dinner! Now Sophie loves food and good tea! She is so generous with her love of cooking that after her first stay at ‘Aupres de l’eglise’ after listening to me explaining about how, compared to London, it was so difficult to get Asian ingredients in Champagne she sent me a HUGE box from Paris full of Sushi rice, sauces, and seaweed!Amazing!
So I casually asked Sophie what she would like for her birthday cake…’A cheesecake’…that’s easy I thought! Then she continued ‘not the heavy American style but the light lemony French style baked Cheesecake ’Gateau de Fromage’. 
So I searched all of my cookbooks, the internet and all manner of sources and finally came up with this recipe! It remains a staple for any special occasion in the house and even the most discerning Cheesecake Connoisseurs approve…light, lemony, simple and gorgeous served with fresh berries, poached fruit or alone with mascarpone whipped with lemon zest and icing sugar! And Sophie loved it!

BAKED LEMON CHEESECAKEoriginal by Rick Stein

Preheat the oven to 150 deg celcius

FOR THE BASE:
1 packet of biscuits [200 gms]
100 gms of butter
2 tbsp of caster sugar

1.  Crush a small packet of biscuits of your liking…digestives, ginger              biscuits, specaloos or plain butter biscuits.
2.  Melt 100 grams of butter and mix the crushed biscuits into the butter with 2 tablespoons of caster sugar.
 3.  Line a springform cake tin with tinfoil and press the crumbs into it and                                                                         put in the fridge to chill.

FOR THE FILLING:
500 gm of full fat Philadelphia cream cheese
200 gm caster sugar
3 eggs
2 tbsp of cornflour
300 ml of cream fraiche
Finely grated zest of a lemon and 3 tbsp of juice.

  1. Beat the cream cheese and sugar till combined.
  2. Add eggs and beat well.
  3. Pop your mixing bowl onto the scales and add the cornflour, cream fraiche and lemon zest and juice.
  4. Put the bowl back on the mixer and beat again till very well combined.
  5. Scrape the contents of the bowl on top of the base.
  6. Place in the centre of the oven for 50 mins – 1hr and then turn the oven off and leave the cheese cake in the oven till cold.
  7. Do not panic…It is usual for the cheesecake to develop an earthquake style crack across the top.

Place the cheesecake in the fridge from the oven till ready to serve. I often do this the day before needed…
When you are ready to serve I remove the cheesecake from the tin removing all of the tinfoil and placing on a plate or cakestand. I then carefully ‘ice’ with some more crème fraiche to make the top look prettier and then decorate with berries, a small bunch of grapes sprinkled with icing sugar, oe a simple slice of lemon cut and twisted…serve with fruit and wait for the compliments! Any leftovers in our house are usually snavelled by female guests for breakfast or eaten by Amelia and her friends! It keeps well in the fridge for a few days…sorry no pic's!

No comments:

Post a Comment